Simple tips to have a productive team conversation:
1) Use our Team Discussion Tool
- We've created a tool that you can use live during the discussion. Check out a demo here - no need to prep a powerpoint!
- Just click to start and it will give you a step-by-step framework for using during the discussion, and your team's results are automatically pre-populated
2) Everyone knows the goal.
- Start by reiterating the goal for the discussion.
- You can return to this goal to orient the conversation if things get off track.
3) Everyone contributes.
- Tell the team that everyone’s reflections and ideas are important for the team as a whole.
- Start and end the meeting with a go-around to hear from each person.
4) Everyone is heard.
- Demonstrate active listening: thank people when they speak and echo back to them what you’ve heard.
- Record ideas on a flipchart or in a shared document.
- Disagreement and tension can be valuable: take time to explore areas of disagreement.
5) Everyone understands the action items.
- Action items should be aligned with the goal of the discussion.
- Action items should be specific and measurable.
- The group should agree together on actions that the whole group will take.
- Individuals should determine their own follow-up actions.
We've got a more comprehensive guide for running team conversations here.
Four points...you deliver on them...you drop the mic and walk out of the room like a champ.